Tuesday, April 19, 2011

CRAFTINESS: Light Shade

The light in my kitchen has no cover. It is one of those bulbs that would normally be covered by a glass globe of some sort, but I suspect the painters may have smashed it before I moved in and it was never replaced... So I saw a similar idea to this and loved it so much I had to try it! I used a balloon and wall paper paste and did this paper mache style. I first dyed the paper doilies using a spray bottle and purple watery dye (see the tissue paper dying in another entry for more info) and when they were dry I covered the balloon, making sure to overlap every one in a pleasing way. This makes it look nice, have different shades of colour, and also keep it all together! after the whole thing dried on the balloon (about 24 hours) I popped it and the form was left. I then slipped it over the existing fixture holding the bulb and it made a nice muted light :) SUCCESS! Hope you like it! feel free to comment or ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment