Saturday, March 12, 2011

Un-Assisting

     On a recent Facebook comment thread, the endless topic of people who live off the government came up and I had to put my two cents in... Someone was saying that they had no choice but to be on welfare and other people didn't quite understand how that could be... the fact is, if you haven't had to do it yourself, you just can't understand! First here was my comment....

(to the person who felt misunderstood)~~~~
The reason you (and myself as well) don't get enough money to get off the system is because of those who are abusing it! I couldn't pay my $900/month rent when I was on my own, but the woman across the hall got $1100/mo... PLUS her son's name was misspelled so it looked like they weren't related; he got another $1100 and her bf moved in and he was getting $1100! They went on a trip to Jamaica, china, Italy and then came back and started their own business! And there I am with 2 kids, playing by the rules like a fool! Trust me, I can relate to both sides of this! I hate when people think less of me because I have no choice but to be on assistance, (father owes me thousands, welfare screwed up my daycare application, not able to pay for stuff without it) but I also hate people who abuse the system and those around them!
I know a girl who has everything paid for her, but she still takes money because they can't prove it! She goes to the food bank every week because she is permitted to, but she doesn't really need the food at all! Then her best friend didn't get the pass to go to the food bank because they say her welfare cheque is too high! There are things seriously wrong with this society and the people in it! And yes, no one understands until they have to go thru it! It just makes no sense!
BUT there is no excuse for people to take and take and take... that's a problem they have on the inside when they think they are more important then they deserve to be! ~~~~

     These stories are true.... Did you know that you have to be approved to go to the food bank? You can't just walk in and say I can't afford groceries this week! You have to bring proof you need the help! And some places will only allow you to get food at certain times, so if you run out of food, you still have to wait until your next interval comes around. And even then you might only get what's available, not what you need... You can have a cupboard full of cans and dry goods, but what do you do when you can't afford the bread for the kid's lunches?
     I said that welfare screwed up my daycare; this is another stupid chain of events. I thought I was finally getting ahead and ready to have everything in order! It was very hard when my daughter was small and was only in school half a day. No one wants to hire you for 2 hours! I put her on the waiting list at the school's daycare and her place was coming up! (Now you have to take into account that this daycare is in the school, so very hard to get into, and no other daycare in the area, including home care, will serve the school. That means they do not pick her up or drop her off at the school!) I had a meeting with my worker and told her that I wanted to apply for subsidy, I was going to work in the mall close by and then when I made more money get the credits I needed to pass the license in my field of career. She said that sounded great, like I had it all in order and I should have no problem getting subsidy! My appointment at the subsidy office was two days later... The daycare was holding the spot until after this appointment because it was finally our turn! Then the subsidy person says I have no referral from my worker! I ask how that is possible, because I JUST talked to her! So we call her up right there and then and she says, "Oh I thought you were already working! No, I can't make you a new referral unless you are already working or in a school program." And that was it! So I can't apply for subsidy, I lose the spot at the daycare and I can't work without someone to take care of my child! That was 2 years ago and we have been on the daycare waiting list ever since without our spot coming up!
     The part about the neighbour is true too! They were getting over $3000 to their hosehold and I was getting less than $1000! People think that when you're on welfare, or Social Assistance as it's now called, you get enough money to live on and more! That is simply not true! It is next to impossible to live on welfare unless your quality of living is very low! I wouldn't be struggling so much if my 2 kids and I moved into a batchelor or 1 bedroom apartment! That is their solution... if you can't pay rent, move somewhere cheaper! But I don't get approved to move into rent-reduced housing! Ok so here's some math... let's say the welfare cheque is $1000, (it's less than that, but a nice round number) and I get $300 for child support... do I get $1300? NO, I get $700 from welfare + 300 =$1000... when you get extra money, your check gives less so you stay at the same ammount each month. If the government starts giving out a bonus check, like when they raised the Child Tax Benifit, welfare lovered their allowance to people with children. And if you do work and make some money you can't make more than that $1000 for 3 months in a row or you are cut off... So if you make $900 a month, they will still give you an extra percentage... even tho once you start working you will have more expences!
     Sorry for having to complain so much, but there is a lot to complain about! They really do make it so hard to live, and so hard to get off the assistance once you are on it! SIGH it's all a catch 22, an oxymoron, and a slap in the face!

P.S. Feel free to hire me or make a donation : )

No comments:

Post a Comment